Skip to main content

6 Tips for Coping With Stress



When I first started going to college, I found myself lost. Like many people, I felt like there was so much that I needed to do- but I had no idea what that was. Even now in my '9 to 5', I find myself feeling guilty and anxious. I feel like I could be doing more, I just don't know what. That vague anxiety and feeling of unfulfillment, plus the stress of bills and an unsatisfied family means that I find it hard to take the time to take care of myself. What does this result in? I'm sure many of you have been in my place and you can guess.

Sleeping too much, too little, too restlessly. Drinking and eating too much causing me to gain weight. Breaking out. Finding it hard to care for myself. Even basic things like showering are hard to handle in the deepness of depression. These are not great combos for self-esteem, by the way.

See, I know that I am prone to depression and anxiety. But I have found ways that work for me to get through those times. And I actively work hard to not get there again. It's important for me to take the time, every day and every week to take stock of how I am doing. Here are some things I do on a daily and weekly basis to help manage my stress so I can live a happy and productive life.

Daily:

  1. Positive Reminders. When I'm feeling negative or uninspired throughout the day, I like to take time to think about things that I'm grateful for. Loved ones that I have in my life, upcoming events I'm looking forward to, or even how far I've come in life. For me, this is one of the only times 'it could have been worse' kind of helps me feel better.
  2. Feed Your Body. I have to make a conscious effort to drink enough water and eat enough produce. If I don't I feel like crap. My boyfriend will ask me, "Do you want some water?" And that prompts to think... and remember that I haven't had water in weeks. Not a single cup. Coffee, sure. Soda, ya' damn right. Even a Mikes or two. But not water.

    Produce is something that requires more planning ahead. Veggies are generally easy to mix into any meal. Like spinach in your eggs, or strawberry in your cereal. Also, when I snack on fruit instead of junk I have so much more energy. I don't feel as lethargic. And my skin is susceptible to breakouts. All in all, it's pretty great. Pretty much everyone can drink water when it is available to them. But if you aren't able to eat enough whole foods, maybe look into daily supplements.
  3. WALK. Preferably outside. If you can't walk, stretch in place. Do some stretches. I'm not flexible, but morning yoga is a lot easier and more satisfying than you may think. I have a sidewalk by my office building. I take my break and walk 4 minutes one way and back. By the time I'm back at my desk and cloaked in Victoria's Secret Love Spell body mist, it's been 10 minutes. This is not an option for everyone of course. But if you can do some stealthy stretches and deep breath exercises in the bathroom, it's better than nothing. 


Weekly: 
  1. Self Care. At the end of the week, it is very tempting to just shut down and nap until Monday morning. But I push myself to make sure I at least take care of my body. It's been a long week. The weekend is not long enough to get everything done. So after I've cleaned my apartment, and bought all my groceries, I treat myself. I like to drink a wine cooler as I put away my groceries and run a bath. Bath bombs are great! I love the glitter ones. This is the chance I take to scrub away all the dirt and exfoliate my skin. You can find some decent bath DIYs online even.
  2. Grocery shopping. It's more of a chore than a treat, but hear me out. This is where you set yourself up for success through the week. You can buy yourself the water and healthy food that will support your body and mind. Some foods naturally help your body deal with stress and anxiety. Life is full of triggers, why not make it a fair fight for yourself? Pro-tip: I always try to go into the store with a list, but I never go hungry. Always snack on a banana or something light before heading to the store.
  3. Meditation. My final piece of advice is to allow your mind to clear itself. Ever have to empty your browser's cookie cache? I have no idea what that means, but I'm pretty sure it works just like that. You can do this with a guided meditation, or just laying down and clearing your mind. It's actually not an easy thing to do and does require practice. You might already have certain tasks that take you into a meditative state, such as washing the dishes or filling a coloring book. Laying down and listening to a guided meditation with earphones makes me physically relaxed as well mentally recharged. This final step is one that I believe will make a huge impact on your state of mind. Especially when done consistently.
When you arm your body with clean energy, water, sleep, and the clear mind of a person that meditates regularly, it is just that much easier to handle the stress of everyday life. Not only that, it becomes easier to accept where you are in life and to have a more positive outlook on where you want to be. Good luck to you, friends. I hope this post helps you find ways to deal with stress. 


Special thanks: Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Update

If you've read my last post you know that I was kind of starting to freak out over the upcoming move. Then this morning I woke up groggy and spent an hour on Instagram. Here you will see how my best friend Rei asked if we were going to Michael's. So we went to Michael's. It jump-started my day and kept me from getting angsty and depressed from staying in.  Here is something I'm definitely going to be DIYing when I finish moving in. Some fam-spam. Ricky and I got sushi after. And then I started packing. I took a 2.5 hour nap. I was browsing Youtube for inspiration when Ricky suggested finishing the sushi from earlier and catching up on Luke Cage.  The night ended with writing and editing... Starting the day with breakfast, coffee, and music. Ricky and I had an interesting conversation about family, abuse, sacrifice, and commitment. And of course, it is Sunday so I watched Kalyn Nicholson's new video.  He

Advice For Late 20s?

Anyone have any good advice for a woman in her late 20s? I thought I felt lost at 20.... yeah no. I am 26 now and have a job that COULD turn into a career or it could just stay a dead end job. I have been with my corporation under different sister companies for almost 3 years and other than the experience I really don't have anything to show for it. I can very much relate to " You Go, Girl " saying that she is tired under/overwhelmed and feeling unfulfilled. I am hoping to find some advice on what to do. I'm getting tossed around at a job, and should just be grateful I am not getting laid off. But maybe I feel entitled because they had just promised me a promotion... I would love to hustle and manifest my life as I want it- but I don't know what to aim for. Feeling very lost. Guess I will see where things take me. Guess this is where I need to brainstorm, search, and make myself a vision board ... Off to Pinterest!

The Catch Up Post

It's Halloween month, I'm done moving out of my old apartment, and I've finally found my laptop charger! ~Happy times~. Now for some catching up!  First of all, BIG thanks to my sister, Najiba, for helping us clean out our old place on Sunday. We could not have finished moving out of the apartment in time without her. Seriously, moving made us miserable. But now we are in our new place. And Ricky's parents are so awesome! They brought me (yes, me! Not us -.-) wine, a wine opener, and veggie pasta. I will refrain from calling it macaroni as I guess they would disagree. For Ricky, they brought garlic bread and he was nice enough to share that with me haha. Please ignore my fingers One thing about me guys is that until about a year ago I suffered from random digestive issues. I won't get TMI now, but suffice to say I suffered. And what's worse, is that was normal for me. I never thought anything was really wrong. But there was. June 2017 was about the